Friday, April 21, 2006

Patrick's Call for Unity & Debates

Just got an email from Deval that included his letter to Tom and Chris calling for unity and, at least, monthly debates in May, June, July, August and September.

You can read the letter (and press release) here.

This strikes me as a good plan, but here's my worry: if Tom and Chris agree to debates, will the media broadcast them in substantive timeslots? Remember 1996 when Kerry and Weld had debates that started right about now in the year, and kept them going through to November? That was cool. And they were in cool places too, like Mechanics Hall and Faneuil Hall.

I'd love that to happen now: hold debates in big open places where people can come and see them, and where you get a sense of how important the debates really are. I know the TV stations want to create these fancy red, white and blue sets, but the debates end up sounding just like news broadcasts.

I also hope that the big radio news outlets (WBZ-1030 and WBUR-90.9) agree to hold two hour debates from like 7-9 pm, perhaps even on multiple occasions.

Or, and here's my dream scenario, all 6 networks (4, 5, 7, Fox, WB and GBH) agree to broadcast three TV debates amongst the candidates. Unlikely given the ratings and access each station wants to claim as its own, but who knows.

A 'BUR, GBH TV/Radio debate could be cool too.

And, all things being equal, the LG candidates should get at lesat 2 statewide TV debates (and not only on shows like Kellers or the dreadful Greater Boston). The LG debates should be in the 7-8 timeslot.

Thoughts? I know, I'm reaching here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hoss! You got at least one LG debate (all right, it might not be televised unless one of the big guys wants to jump in, else it'll be on local cable access stations, also at least the audio will be on the internet). Check it out at the LDCC website.

Anonymous said...

Dammit, I hit return too quick...last post was me.

Anonymous said...

OK, and it's also a forum, not a debate...but anyway, it's got LGs.

Anonymous said...

I thought the first "real" debate was at Harvard . . .