Thursday, September 14, 2006

Goldberg Whines While Silbert Shines

Apparently Deb Goldberg has taken out a full page ad in today's Brookline Tab complaining about the Tab's failure to endorse her and instead endorse Andrea Silbert for Lieutenant Governor.

Does anyone else find this hysterical?

Now I have not seen the ad, but the Boston Globe noted that she'd done this, as did onBrookline.com's editor, and former Tab columnist, Jim Conley who posted this excerpt from the print ad.

“Your misstatements of fact and mischaracterization of dedicated and hard working public servants are not worthy of refutation (sic).”

This is absolutely pathetic on Goldberg's part.

First of all, it confirms what many of us already believe about her: that she is thin-skinned and can't take the heat.

But it also re-confirms something I already know, which is that she feels entitled to support from her hometown and is incredulous that it is not forthcoming.

Lastly, it shows me how off-base her priorities are. Can you imagine the scene at the Goldberg HQ last week when the editorial came down? I guarantee that her staff spent valuable time this past week working this ad, time that could have been spent on getting in touch with voters. I also am sure that Deb wasted hours on the phone speaking to her Brookline homies who were, like her, SHOCKED.

(I'm sure they are all hot at Dan Payne who informed the world outside the Blogosphere today that the Tab hadn't endorsed Debbie and insted went with Silbert. Payne's a Newton guy, part of that whole Brookline/Newton political crew that grew up with JFK, came of age with Barney Frank and The Duke, and now think that they're god's gift to politics. Think again, folks, because the people who matter most in Mass. politics these days live in towns like Wayland, Ashland, East Bridgewater, Wakefield and Franklin.)

If the people who know Deb Goldberg best do not think that she is ready to be our LG nominee, should the rest of us? I think I answered my own question.

Well, it all plays well into Ms. Andrea Silbert's hands, because she, apparently, has been spending the last week getting a story about her in papers around the state just about every day - something which ain't too shabby for an unelected candidate who supposedly has no base.

But don't forget, Andrea's a Brookline native too, and she got a ton of support at the convention from Deb's hometown delegates who knew Deb and liked Andrea better.

Deb, it's too bad it's come to this. I said to myself last week that I thought your $2 million could innocculate your campaign from worrying about these kinds of things, but that's evidently not the case. Actually, I should clarify: I'm sure your campaign staff wasn't worried about it, but you made them worry.

I wish you luck on Tuesday because you're going to need it now more than you needed it yesterday.

No comments: