Friday, May 19, 2006

Patrick Wins Debate

Or at least that's MY opinion.

I listened to the debate on WBUR last night and felt that Deval Patrick won the debate.

Chris Gabrieli came in second.

Christy Mihos came in third.

Tom Reilly came in last.

Expanding on the above assessments: what was Tom Reilly doing? He wasn't answering questions, he sounded exactly like the obfuscating, non-answering politicians that have caused us to lose not only locally but nationally as well. He was trying to stay on message, but he had no message to stay on! I suppose he may also have been going for a n0-gaffe performance, and he accomplished that (as did the others). But I just don't get why, when faced with two charismatic and substantive primary opponents, and one (at this stage in the campaign) goofball candidate, he didn't try to stand out more as the statesman. It baffles me.

As for why Patrick won, it was because of the combination of substance and passion. He knows his stuff and believes it. I thought the questioning from Alison King was a bit much though. She accused (not asked) him of being two-faced on taxes. C'mon Alison, don't try to make news where it ain't. Deval made himself very clear last night: no plan to raise income, gas or sin taxes, but he did consider raising sin (i.e. ciggs) taxes to pay for the new healthcare plan, but that issue was taken off the table. One cannot rationally call that two-faced. Rather, it's a clear statement, to me at least, that taxes are not going to go up if we continue on the economic road we're on and if we improve that road with his policies. Shameful questioning, in my book. Overall, though, the questioning and format was excellent, I thought.

Why Gabrieli second? Because he knows his stuff too, it's just his aural presence (remember, I was listening on radio) that didn't hit me as well as Patrick. Perhaps it's his slight speech impediment, perhaps it's his wonkishness that shone through, I don't know. Without Patrick there, this guy would have been off the charts ahead of Reilly and Mihos as the clear winner. I like Chris, but wasn't moved by him.

And Mr. Miho- oops, I mean "Christy"? As many said this morning, he is not ready for prime time. But you know what, he doesn't have to be. Plus, he IS going to be there at all the debates in the fall and he has time to button up his message. Hearing him speak explained to me why he does NOT speak in the ads he's running on the radio. If he can translate his "throw the bums out" message into something short, concise and coherent, I predict he will be a major force in the fall. He's got the gimmicky ad guru on his side, so who knows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at the debate. And my opinion is as such:

First was a tie between Gabrieli and Deval - and if there has to be an edge, I'd say it went to Gabrieli because it seemed like Deval was relying too much on his biography for answers at times and not enough on fresh ideas.

But both Gabrieli and Deval were miles ahead of Reilly, of whose performance your assessment is dead on. His answers were strings of platitudes. "I won't just create jobs - I'll create the good jobs that grow the economy." His closing statement was half a dozen platitudes strung together. He seemed really unprepared.

Mihos was, as expected, just a sideshow. And Healey's absence was, as expected, very pronounced.

As far as effect, given how poorly I (and others, apparently) think Reilly did, maybe he'll drop a couple points in the polls.

Also, by showing how credibly Gabrieli is, in comparison to a substance-free Reilly, it should help Gabrieli convince some of the remaining undecided/uncommitted delegates to go with him on the first ballot at the Convention to help ensure a 15% to get him into the primary.

If Reilly is still on the bubble, this campaign performance didn't help.

I think this will neither hurt nor help Deval. He didn't screw up, he was solid, but he wasn't the breathtaking speaker his reputation suggested. Perhaps (probably) it was just an off-night, or the pressure of his first live debate, but he was just a mere mortal. So it will probably not have much impact on Deval either way.

As "off-beat" as Mihos was, Healey's absence may help him in the polls a tad.

Anonymous said...

Reilly might not speak as well as Deval or Gabrieli, but he gets his point across. In the long run he is the most prepared for the job. Deval is my 2nd choice, but I think he may be using this as a stepping stone. If Gabrieli can purchase it he will, if not he's lost!